Police Launches Nationwide Stop-and-Search Blitz Ahead of Easter Holidays

Zimbabwe Republic Police Commissioner-General S. Mutamba announces an intensive security operation targeting unregistered vehicles, drug traffickers, and unlicensed liquor outlets ahead of the 2026 Easter and Independence Day celebrations.

Police Launches Nationwide Stop-and-Search Blitz Ahead of Easter Holidays
Zimbabwe Police Boss, Commissioner General Stephen Mutamba

Police Chief Warns of "Decisive Force" in Easter Holiday and Independence Security Clampdown

Harare - The Zimbabwe Republic Police has launched an intensive nationwide security operation characterised by "stop and search blitzes" and increased patrols to secure the country ahead of the 2026 Easter and Independence Day holidays.

In a security directive issued yesterday, Wednesday March 25, the Commissioner-General of Police, Stephen Mutamba, said the Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) has been placed on high alert.

He said the operation specifically targets plateless vehicles, illegal transport operators and drug traffickers during a period of peak national travel.

"The ZRP will be on high alert and will conduct road blocks, stop and search blitz and patrols to maintain law and order throughout the holidays," Commissioner-General Mutamba stated, adding that the crackdown on unregistered vehicles and those unlawfully fitted with beacon lights would be intensified.

The police chief issued a stern warning to motorists to comply with road regulations, citing the dangers of speeding, overloading and driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

He also cautioned the public against using mushikashika or pirate taxis, which he noted expose commuters to risks of robbery and fatal accidents.

"The recently re-launched National Highway Patrol will take stern action on any unruly driving conduct by drivers on the country’s roads," the Commissioner-General warned.

Beyond road safety, the security apparatus is pivoting toward a decisive campaign against the country's growing drug epidemic.

Mutamba urged citizens to report any individuals involved in trafficking or peddling substances to the nearest police station, saying the force is taking aggressive action against distributors.

The statement also outlined a crackdown on the informal liquor trade, noting that shebeens and unlicensed outlets are primary drivers of violent crime and public disorder.

Under the Liquor Act [Chapter 14:12], police have been directed to shut down these establishments and prosecute offenders "without fear or favour."

Moreso, with the first school term concluding, Commissioner General Mutamba implored parents and school authorities to prioritise the safety of learners.

He advised that children must be protected from abuse, exploitation and exposure to drug and substance abuse during their transit and holiday stay.

As the nation prepares for its 46th Independence anniversary, the police have also warned criminal syndicates, particularly armed robbery gangs, against targeting law enforcement officers.

Mutamba signaled a zero-tolerance approach to any resistance to lawful arrest.

"Any attack on police officers or resistance to lawful arrest will face the appropriate response and lawful force.

"The Police will thus act decisively to protect lives and maintain law and order without any form of compromise or hesitation." He said.

The public has also been advised to secure their homes and livestock and to avoid carrying large sums of cash.

On road traffic accidents, last year the ZRP reported a worrying 34 percent surge in road traffic accidents during the 2025 Easter and Independence holidays, even as the number of fatal crashes and deaths saw a modest decline compared to the previous year.

Authorities recorded 384 road traffic accidents over the combined 2025 holiday period marking a significant increase from the 286 accidents reported during the same period in 2024.

Fatal road accidents decreased from 26 to 21 last year, while the total number of people killed dropped from 27 to 24. However, the number of injured persons rose from 159 to 178.

ZRP spokesperson, Commissioner Paul Nyathi, is on record saying the common contributing factors for road traffic accidents during the period included speeding, reckless overtaking and driver fatigue amid heightened traffic volumes on major routes such as the Harare-Bulawayo and Bulawayo-Beitbridge highways.