Mkoba Man Suspected of Hammering Wife to Death Arrested

Zimbabwe Republic Police have apprehended Nhlalo Darlington Baloyi, a murder suspect who had been on the run since bludgeoning his wife, Patricia Nyathi, to death with a hammer in Gweru’s Mkoba 4 suburb.

Mkoba Man Suspected of Hammering Wife to Death Arrested
Now in police custody, Nhlalo Darlington Baloyi suspected of hammering his wife to death

Gweru - Police have apprehended a 37-year-old artisanal miner who had been on the run for nearly two weeks following the brutal murder of his wife in Gweru's Mkoba 4 suburb.

Nhlalo Darlington Baloyi was arrested on March 14 at Shambrock Mine in Arizona, along Matobo Road in Lower Gweru, following a successful joint operation by detectives and intelligence operatives.

The arrest comes four days after the Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) issued a nationwide appeal for information regarding Baloyi’s whereabouts in connection with the March 2 killing of 32-year-old Patricia Nyathi.

Midlands provincial police spokesperson, Inspector Emmanuel Mahoko, confirmed the development, crediting the public for providing the critical leads that broke the case.

"The arrest happened four days after the press statement. We thank the public for a quick response with information that we reacted to, leading to the arrest," Inspector Mahoko said.

The suspect had been wanted for allegedly bludgeoning Nyathi to death with a hammer during a dispute over suspected infidelity.

Police records say the couple had been cohabiting since December 2025.

The investigation into the case reached a turning point when detectives from the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) Gweru and ZRP Mkoba intelligence operatives coordinated the raid at the mine where Baloyi was hiding.

"Detectives from CID Gweru and ZRP Mkoba intelligence operatives teamed up in the operation," Inspector Mahoko said.

Baloyi, originally of Mkhonto Village in Zhombe, had reportedly fled Gweru immediately after the attack, which occurred in the presence of his stepdaughter.

He is now in police custody and is expected to face formal charges in court shortly.

"The suspect will now appear in court for an initial remand while awaiting trial for murder," Inspector Mahoko said.

The ZRP also said that the swift resolution of the manhunt is an example of the effectiveness of community-policing initiatives in the Midlands Province.