Australia Shuts Tel Aviv Embassy as Iran-Israel Conflict Escalates
The Australian government has closed its embassy in Tel Aviv following a missile attack from Iran, advising citizens to avoid the area while continuing to provide remote consular services.
Tel Aviv - Australia has shut its embassy in Israel and issued an urgent warning to its citizens to avoid the diplomatic mission's vicinity as regional security conditions deteriorate following a fresh wave of missile strikes from Iran.
The Albanese government confirmed the closure today, Wednesday, through its SmartTraveller advisory service, citing heightened security concerns as Israeli forces work to intercept aerial threats.
The move follows a reported barrage of Iranian missiles launched on Tuesday night, marking a sharp escalation in a conflict that has now entered its 12th day.
"Do not go to the Embassy and surrounding area," the government statement said.
"Australian officials remain in country and continue to provide consular services," they said.
While the physical office is closed to the public, authorities clarified that consular teams remain operational and are available to assist Australian nationals via email and telephone.
Foreign Minister Penny Wong provided an update on the status of Australians in the region, noting that an overwhelming majority of those previously stranded in transit have now departed.
The progress comes as temporary airspace reopenings allow more citizens to secure passage on commercial flights.
The closure in Tel Aviv follows similar actions taken at Australian diplomatic posts in Abu Dhabi and Dubai earlier this week, as the conflict disrupts major transit hubs across the Gulf.
"Our priority is and will always be to keep Australians safe at home and abroad," Wong told the Senate during question time on Wednesday.
"The dangerous and destabilising attacks by Iran put civilian lives at risk," Wong said.
The Australian government has maintained its "Do Not Travel" advisory for Israel, urging those currently in the country to consider leaving if they can find safe commercial options.
Ben Gurion International Airport continues to operate a limited schedule of outbound flights, though schedules remain subject to abrupt change.
Registration portals remain open for Australian citizens and permanent residents in the region, the Embassy said, to receive direct security updates as the situation evolves.









